For this year’s race we are adopting a new race start format to accommodate health & wellness precautions outlined by state & federal authorities. The good news is, we’ll still be running in-person on August 15. With everyone’s help, we’re hoping for a great event to support the programs The Brainy Day Fund coordinates throughout the year for those living with Hydrocephalus.
What does a “Time Trial Format” mean?
Basically, instead of a mass start where everyone lines up together and races, we’re going to be releasing one runner per minute starting at 7am and going until 2pm. We are limiting this year’s race to 400 participants. Given our current registrations, we have approximately 186 spots remaining.
How do we determine who starts when?
We’re going to make this as easy as possible to manage. Start times will be based on when you register. Let’s say all 215 people currently registered decide to race on August 15. If that’s the case, we already have start times projected out from 7am – 10:15am. In this case, it’s best to register as soon as possible.
- No Headphones or Personal Music Devices. You must be aware of your surroundings AT ALL TIMES. Anyone observed breaking this rule will be disqualified.
- No Drafting. Be smart about people’s personal space.
- Run on the RIGHT SIDE of the Path. If you’re going to pass, make your presence known at least 20 feet before coming up on the runner in front of you. Move to your left side of the path and make your pass quickly, (see note above). No one likes a lurker behind them. Don’t be rude as you pass, just be grateful you got to race this year.
- Once you finish, move quickly through the finish line area and maintain safe distances from other runners.
How a Time Trial Format Works
- Before the race, you’re going to get a package from us that will include your bib, timing chip, running buff, and any gear you ordered during registration. You need to bring your bib and chip to the race, there will be no extras provided on race day. Also, there is no day-of registration, so if you want to run, you’ll need to pre-register by July 31.
- When you look at the back of your bib, you will be provided with a Starting Zone assigned by us along with a Unique Starting Time. There will also be a separate sheet in your bib pack that will show the cadence of start times throughout the day so you are aware of when you will need to arrive to the course. We ask that you do not arrive at the course any earlier than 15 minutes before your scheduled time to be in the staging areas.
- If you would like to have your family run together, we will allow that. Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with that request. Your entire family will have to run the entire course together. If you have someone in your group that would prefer to run by themselves, we ask that they start on their own. (see next note on age limit)
- For this year only, given the spacing of runners and limited number of volunteers on the course, all runners under the age of 13 must have a registered adult run with them on the course.
- To start the race, Zones 1 & 2 will prepare to run and line up in the designated staging area.
- Zone 1 will line up along the south side of the driveway marked in the map below; Zone 2 will line up on the north side of the driveway (yellow box below). Think of a Southwest Airlines Boarding scenario.
- For those who have run the course in the past, you will notice a slight change in the start & finish line. This is to accommodate this type of alternative start. We’re also going to have you run the course in reverse to really mix things up.
- As Zone 1 moves through the starting process, Zone 2 will move to the South side of the driveway and take their spots. Zone 3 will be announced to the staging area and line up on the north side of the driveway. And so on, and so forth.
- We ask that you do not show up more than 10 minutes before your Zone is to be called to the staging area (designated in the yellow box in the map below).
Between now and race day, we will be posting videos to show how this format will work. Those videos will be shared online on our website, social channels, and through email.